I was so so so so so happy to have made this recipe. I was about to give up on my search for the right kind of scalloped potatoes. My mom makes the BEST scalloped potatoes and I never really knew what exactly went into it and my mom, who does a lot of from memory, eyeballing cooking, couldn't remember what exactly went into it and it's been years since she had made it. I found a lot of weird cream of something soup or cheesy versions, but I was looking for a milky, creamy version. I FOUND IT! This is pretty close to my mom's and made me a happy girl :)
What you need:
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 lb. Yellow Finn potatoes
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- Black Pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350. Rub casserole dish with garlic and let it dry. Then rub it with butter. Save garlic and butter not used.
- Peel and slice potatoes very thin.
- Combine garlic, butter, potatoes, half and half, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a large pot. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium-high. Cook until thickened, around 5 minutes.
- Combine ground beef, egg and seasonings of your choice. Roll into meatballs. Brown in skillet.
- Mix meatballs with potatoes and transfer to casserole dish.
- Bake for 1 hour, basting on occasion.