This soup is perfect for all you Cheeseheads out there! :P I was happy to use the dinner as a topic of discussion for my 4 and 3 year olds who only really know who the Minnesota Vikings are. So they are clearly Vikings fans - I'm raising them right :) My husband grew up as a Packers fan...LAME. It was a really fun dinner conversation! We did all agree that it would be fantastic with potatoes or chicken in it too!
What you need:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup beer or chicken broth
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup corn (I used a can of Libby's)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled, or garlic croutons
- Parsley, chopped or dried
Add mustard powder and flour, stirring as you go, so there are no lumps. Cook for one minute.
Pour in 2 cups of milk, stirring as you go, again NO LUMPS!
Pour in 1 cup chicken broth and season with cayenne, Worcestershire, salt and pepper.
Add corn; stir. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
Add cheese and stir until melted. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Adjust seasonings accordingly and serve with bacon or croutons and parsley.