So...I don't know if you all have heard of the Neelys, but they are some pretty awesome people. I love watching their show on Food Network and I wish I had more of a spice tolerance because they make some good-looking spicy food. I made this recipe as is. I think it was just a little over my spice threshold, but still delicious. I did find it a bit too spicy for the kids to eat though. They are still a bit young and have bland palates. My husband, who is completely immune to all spiciness, loved this.
Recipe from The Neelys
What you need:
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tbsp. red pepper flakes, plus more to taste, if desired (I will be using a pinch or two next time because this was a little spicy for my liking and too spicy for my kids)
- 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. chicken, precooked and cubed, I boiled and shredded mine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched
Over medium-high heat, heat oil until it shimmers. Add garlic, ginger, green onions, and red pepper flakes (to taste). Saute until they are fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add chicken and broccoli to garlic mixture and stir to warm through.
Add reserved sauce and stir until thick and bubbly.
Serve with rice - I had to do some fried rice with eggs and soy sauce - yum!