I'm still not completely sold on stuffed shells. I enjoy spaghetti a lot...not so big on lasagna...however, I will try replacing ricotta with cottage cheese and see how these turned out. They are fantastic - don't get me wrong...I'm just not a huge ricotta fan. I really loved the chicken and spinach combo instead of the traditional meatless shells with a meat sauce topping.
Recipe from The Sisters Cafe
What you need:
- 18 oz. jumbo shells
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) container ricotta - I will be switching for cottage cheese next time
- 2 (8 oz. each) pkg. cream cheese
- 1 (5 oz.) pkg. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (26 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce - may double next time
Add 1 cup of mozzarella to chicken mixture.
Spread 1/4 of the spaghetti sauce into each of the glass dishes.
Spoon filling into shells and arrange them in the dishes.
Top with remaining spaghetti sauce and cover with aluminum foil.
Bake for 40 minutes in a preheated 350* oven.
Uncover and sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella cheese over tops. Bake for 5 to 10 more minutes.