One of my personal favorite oldies, but goodies recipe is Stuffed Peppers. It's a great recipe, but sometimes I don't feel like boiling a bunch of peppers and going through all that hassle. When I first saw this recipe, I was overjoyed (no pun intended with my source). This recipe uses ground turkey instead of ground beef and has a little more flavor to it than my tried and true recipe. Plus it was a helluva lot easier! :)
What you need:
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey (we used a full lb)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (next time I may grate them)
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoniong
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Mozzarella cheese, for topping
Add peppers, carrots, and 1/3 cup water. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Cover.
Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Add cooked rice and cook for an additional 10 minutes until heated through.
Serve with mozzarella cheese, which we did, but after I got a picture!